Policies & Expectations
As a Duke TIP student, and as a guest of our program campuses, Scholar Weekends students are expected to adhere to high standards of conduct both on and off campus and to accept personal responsibility for their conduct. Students are responsible for maintaining honesty, truthfulness, fairness, civility, and showing concern for others inside and outside the classroom. The dining hall, classrooms, other facilities, and all equipment should be used respectfully and kept clean at all times. Students will be charged for any damage to campus buildings or equipment caused by their conduct. Inappropriate behavior or violation of Scholar Weekends rules (presented here and by the staff during the weekend) will result in disciplinary action and possible dismissal from the program.
Overall program expectations
All students are expected to:
- respect and follow the direction of instructors, teaching assistants, and other Duke TIP staff
- refrain from bringing food or drink into the classrooms
- stay with the class group at all times—students may not independently explore their campus
- remain in the area at meal times until it is time for class to resume
- be mindful of the traffic on their campus
Students who engage in the following actions will be immediately dismissed from Duke TIP:
- social dishonesty, including, but not limited to, theft
- tampering with fire alarms, extinguishers, or hoses
- possession, sale, or use of alcohol, tobacco products, or drugs
- possession of weapons of any kind
- violation of any state or federal laws
Over the course of two days, students in grades seven through eleven can explore new subjects in detail through hands-on and project-based learning. Courses cover a range of subjects and take place in Charlotte or Durham, North Carolina, or Winter Park, Florida, throughout the academic year.