Cost and Financial Aid
Field Studies costs $3,975, plus a nonrefundable $40 application fee.
|Enrollment deposit due||Within one week of receiving placement notification|
|Full payment deadline/cancellation deadline||Placed before February 11: February 25
Placed February 12–March 18: April 1
Place after March 18: 2 weeks after placement
Deposit, fee, and payment information
- The enrollment deposit is nonrefundable, but is applied to the program fee.
- Families are responsible for transportation costs to and from the program site.
- Students who request a course, site, or term change after being placed will be charged a $25 transfer fee per transfer. Transfer fees are nonrefundable.
- Fees and deposits may be paid by check, credit card, or money order. Payment by check authorizes Duke University to make a onetime electronic fund transfer from your account. These funds may be withdrawn from your account as soon as the date of receipt. Once the electronic transfer is made, your canceled check will be destroyed.
- Returned checks will result in a $25 processing charge.
Duke TIP believes that all academically talented students should be able to access the resources they need to reach their highest potential, and that all students benefit when there is a diverse community of learners. That’s why we are committed to providing need-based financial aid for our educational programs.
Depending on the program and funds available, our financial aid awards range from 10 to 90 percent of program fees. Families across a wide range of financial situations are eligible for awards, as long as they file taxes in the United States. Decisions are based on household income and family size, and TIP evaluates each financial aid application individually. Your request for financial assistance has no effect on whether or not you are placed in a program.
To learn more about the financial aid application process, review our How to Apply for Financial Aid section.
Students who withdraw from the program by the cancellation deadlines listed in the table above will receive a full refund of the program fees, minus the nonrefundable enrollment deposit.
Students who withdraw after the deadline but more than two weeks before the program starts will have 50 percent of their program fees refunded.
No refund will be issued for students who withdraw within two weeks of the program’s start date.
Exceptions, for up to a 50 percent refund, will only be made if:
the student is hospitalized during the duration of the program
the student requires follow-up care from a recent hospitalization during the duration of the program
there is a death in the student’s immediate family (i.e., parent, guardian, or sibling)
All other withdrawals, including students who are dismissed from the program, will not receive a refund.
Program fees are nontransferable and the application fee is nonrefundable under any circumstance.
These two-week summer residential programs for students in ninth through twelfth grade take place at Duke University, New College of Florida, or the Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute. Courses cover a variety of different academic disciplines.