Policies & Expectations
As a Duke TIP student, and as a guest of our program campuses, each Academic Adventures student is expected to adhere to high standards of conduct both on and off campus and to accept personal responsibility for their conduct. Students are responsible for maintaining honesty, truthfulness, fairness, civility, and showing concern for others inside and outside the classroom. The classrooms, other facilities, and all equipment should be used respectfully and kept clean at all times.
Students will be charged for any damage to campus buildings or equipment caused by their conduct. Inappropriate behavior or violation of Academic Adventures rules (presented here and by the staff during the day) will result in disciplinary action and possible dismissal from the program.
Overall program expectations
All students are expected to:
- respect and follow the direction of instructors, teaching assistants, and other Duke TIP staff
- refrain from bringing food or drink into the classrooms
- stay with the class group at all times—students may not independently explore their campus
- remain in the area at meal times until it is time for class to resume
- be mindful of the traffic on their campus
Students who engage in the following actions will be immediately dismissed from Duke TIP:
- social dishonesty, including, but not limited to, theft
- tampering with fire alarms, extinguishers, or hoses
- possession, sale, or use of alcohol, tobacco products, or drugs
- possession of weapons of any kind
- violation of any state or federal laws
Academic Adventures give fourth, fifth, and sixth graders the opportunity to explore fascinating subjects not found elsewhere, deepen their knowledge of a favorite field, and meet other gifted students. Courses cover a range of subjects and are offered by Duke TIP at three different college campuses, as well as at partner locations across the country.