Grand Ceremony Schedule
Grand Recognition Ceremony
Cameron Indoor Stadium
Monday, May 21, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.
Schedule of activities
Event and Location
|8:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.||Information table
Science Drive Parking Deck and Penn Pavilion
Visit before or after information sessions
|9:15–11:30 a.m.||Information sessions
|11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.||Lunch (on your own)
Bryan Center or Brodhead Center
|1:30 p.m.||Recognition Ceremony
Cameron Indoor Stadium
Cameron Indoor Stadium and K-Ville Plaza
Information sessions take place at Penn Pavilion on Duke University's West Campus, within walking distance of the ceremony site and recommended parking lot. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis so please arrive early, as seating is limited. The sessions will begin at 9:15 a.m. and will end no later than 11:30 a.m. All sessions will be recorded and sent to attendees over the summer for those who are not able to attend.
The Duke TIP Experience
Learn more about the many Duke TIP opportunities and resources available to students and families. This will include information about face-to-face and online learning, which will include summer experiences, distance learning, and academic year programming. Presented by Duke TIP staff from the Educational Programs, Educational Innovation & Online Learning, and Outreach teams, a question-and-answer session will follow the presentation.
Preparing for the College Admissions Process
Duke University admissions will share what parents and students can do to prepare for the challenges and opportunities of the college selection process.
The ceremony will take place at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Duke University's West Campus. The ceremony will start promptly at 1:30 p.m. and is usually over between 3 and 3:30 p.m. The ceremony program includes the following:
Occasion and welcome
Duke University Talent Identification Program
Adjoint Associate Professor of the Practice of Biomedical Engineering
Vanderbilt University, TIP Alumna
Distinguished Alumni Awards
Recognition of Talent Search participants and Presentation of awards
Director of Educational Innovation and Outreach
Duke University Talent Identification Program
Presentation of merit scholarships
Reception immediately following the ceremony
- There is no preset dress code for the ceremony, but most students opt for semiformal attire. This means the young men typically wear shirts and ties, with many wearing suit coats, while the young ladies usually wear dresses or an equivalent nice outfit. Keep in mind that students must walk across the stage to accept their medals, so shoes should be comfortable.
- Free parking is available at the Science Drive Parking Garage. Please allow fifteen to twenty minutes to walk from the garage to Cameron Indoor Stadium or Penn Pavilion. The recommended eating venues (Bryan Center or Brodhead Center/West Union) are also within walking distance of the garage, information sessions, and ceremony site.
- You do not need tickets for the ceremony.
- There is assigned seating for the students being honored on the main floor. Guests will sit in the upper balcony. Seats are on a first-come, first-served basis, so please arrive early for the best seating selection. However, keep in mind that this is the same venue where the Duke University Blue Devils play their basketball games, so sight lines are good and you should be able to enjoy the ceremony wherever you sit.
- The ceremony generally lasts approximately two hours. We try to finish by between 3:00 and 3:30 p.m.
- There is an on-site punch-and-cookies reception immediately following the ceremony. It will be held outdoors in front of Cameron Indoor Stadium if the weather is good.
- Check out our ceremony FAQs.
- We are able to seat family attendees in wheelchairs or with other special needs on the main floor. However, we are unable to provide any special equipment and there will be no parking shuttle service available.
- Handicap parking is available at the Card and Student Health Lots next to Cameron Indoor Stadium. However, you will need to make a parking reservation in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The Card and Student Health Parking Lots are located off Towerview Drive. Access from Duke University Road will be closed due to construction, so all traffic should enter campus through Science Drive.
- If you do not need handicapped parking, please see the regular parking information below.
Duke TIP Store
Duke TIP will have a special store set up at both Penn Pavilion and the north lobby entrance of Cameron Indoor Stadium. We will be selling Grand Recignition Ceremony, Duke TIP, and alumni T-shirts, as well as a variety of TIP-branded accessories for all budgets. All proceeds from the store will go to financial aid for TIP students. The store will be open from 9:30 a.m. at Penn Pavilion and 12:30 p.m. at Cameron until just before the ceremony, and again after the ceremony until 4:30 p.m. The store accepts cash, checks, and credit cards.
Photography at the ceremony
For information on purchasing photos from the ceremony, visit www.gradimages.com. You'll be able to find digital proofs by searching for your child's name and school ("Duke University Talent Identification Program"). If you run into any problems, GradImages itself will be best suited to help you out: www.gradimages.com/home/contactus.
Families are welcome to take their own photographs at the ceremony. You will have the opportunity after the ceremony to take photos on stage, if you like. If you post your own photos on social media, be sure to use the hashtag #DukeTIP so that our many followers can share in your student's accomplishment.
Parking, transportation, and directions
- Download a campus map (PDF) for the day that includes information on parking, events, and where to eat on campus.
- Duke University is in the middle of expansion and you should expect some roads to be closed due to construction. We apologize for the inconvenience. There are two hotels within walking distance of the ceremony: the Washington Duke Inn and the JB Duke Hotel. Other hotels are listed below.
- All vehicles should avoid accessing Science Drive via Towerview and Duke University Road due to the construction closures.
- If you are using a GPS, here are some useful addresses:
- Cameron Indoor Stadium: 115 Whitford Drive, Durham, NC 27705 (ceremony site)
- Science Drive Parking Garage: 3100 Cameron Boulevard, Durham, NC 27705 (parking garage site)
- Ceremony parking is available at the Science Drive Parking Garage, which will be open from 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. with a parking attendant on duty to provide ceremony attendees with a parking code for entering and exiting.
- Allow at least fifteen minutes to walk to Cameron Indoor Stadium or Penn Pavilion from the parking garage. Watch for the Duke TIP signs that will be placed on the driving and walking routes to assist you. Staff members will also be walking the route to provide assistance; you will be able to recognize them by their nametags.
- You can find an interactive Duke campus map and other information on the Duke University website. You can also download a campus map (PDF), although one will be provided to you when you register onsite the day of the ceremony.
- The Duke University campus is approximately sixteen miles from the Raleigh-Durham International Airport, which is usually a twenty-five-minute drive under normal traffic conditions. However, if you plan to fly out around rush hour, please budget extra time, as I-40 can get very congested between 4 and 6:30 p.m.!
2800 Campus Walk Ave., Durham, NC 27705
(919) 383-8575 or (919) 382-4416
Rooms at the group rate are available Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. For hotel reservations call (800) 633-5379 and ask for the Duke TIP group rate. The reduced rate is $139 plus tax on Saturday and $109 plus tax on Sunday and Monday. Please make your reservation by April 30, 2018.
2102 W. Main St., Durham, NC 27705
Rooms at the group rate are available Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. For hotel reservations call (877) 782-9444 and ask for the Duke TIP Grand Recognition Ceremony group rate; to book your room online, use this link. Use group code DTIP. Please make your reservation by April 30, 2018, to receive the discounted rate of $119 plus tax.
200 Airgate Drive, Morrisville, NC 27560
Rooms at the group rate available Sunday night only. For hotel reservations call (919) 405-2400 and ask for the G-DUTP group rate. For online booking, go to www.hyatt.com, search for Hyatt Place Raleigh-Durham Airport, and enter the date of stay and the G-DUTI group code. Please make your reservation by April 30, 2018, to receive the discounted rate of $119 plus tax.
Note: Hyatt Place RDU is located a half-mile from the Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) and provides a complimentary airport shuttle service for their guests.
Students qualify for the 7th Grade Talent Search by scoring at or above the 95th percentile on a grade-level standardized test. Enrollment provides benefits that last through the end of high school, including the opportunity to take the ACT or SAT, specialized publications, college prep advice, and access to educational programs.