Qualifying to join Duke TIP’s 4th–6th Grade Talent Search is an honor. It means that your student has shown tremendous academic talent at a young age and can benefit from the advanced activities we offer. To qualify for enrollment, the student must be in the fourth, fifth, or sixth grade and meet one of the following test score requirements:
- Scoring at or above the 95th percentile on an accepted grade-level national standardized achievement or abilities test
- Scoring at or above the 95th percentile on a state assessment
- Scoring 125 or above on a standard IQ test taken within the past two years
For each method above, keep these two things in mind:
- Students only need to meet the criteria on one approved subtest-area or on the composite to be eligible
- Scores from either of the two most recent test administrations are accepted. For most students, that means tests taken in one of the two previous grades—for example, fifth graders can typically use scores from either third or fourth grade.
You can look up the accepted tests and subtests with our look-up tool to see if your student qualifies.
If you believe your student qualifies but can't find the test you're looking for, please email us at email@example.com with the test and score in question and we'll let you know if the test is accepted.
Students qualify for the 4th–6th Grade Talent Search by achieving a score in the 95th percentile or higher on a qualifying exam. Once enrolled, for a onetime fee, they receive access to benefits until the end of sixth grade, including optional above-level testing; enrichment activities like the book club, writing and illustration contest, and specialized publications; and eligibility to apply to TIP’s educational programs.